Good morning from foggy Midcoast Maine! Here at Camden Clay Co. we live with a few dietary restrictions, so when I find a gluten-free, low-FODMAP recipe that's this tasty, it's a really exciting thing. I discovered this particular recipe a few weeks ago and have been making it once a week ever since. It's so easy, has no dairy and very little sugar, and whenever I make it I think to myself, "this is basically breakfast."
So this morning when I woke up to a grey, overcast Sunday, I decided I deserved a little treat. I made myself a cup of earl grey lavender tea with milk (lactose-free of course) and sugar, and got out the berry crumble. Scroll down for the recipe, and enjoy!
Gluten Free and Low-FODMAP Berry Crumble
Original recipe is from WorthCooking.net
Prep time: 8 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 38 mins
For the filling
- 12 oz bag frozen berries, I use Wyman's because they are a Maine company. I like to use a mix, but you can just use blueberries too.
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 1 teaspoon potato starch, or other starch
For the topping
- 1¼ cup gluten free old fashioned rolled oats (plus a little more for sprinkling on top)
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca starch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons natural cane sugar
- 4 Tablespoons virgin coconut oil (solid or liquid)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the frozen berries in a pie plate or baking dish, add the maple syrup, orange zest, vanilla and salt. Stir together. Sprinkle with the starch, and stir in.
- In the bowl of your food processor put the oats, tapioca starch, sugar, salt and baking powder. Blend until the oats are ground into a slightly coarse meal. Add the oil and water, blend until incorporated.
- Crumble the topping onto the berries and spread out somewhat evenly. Break up bigger clumps into into smaller pieces. Sprinkle a few extra oats on top before baking for a little texture.
- Bake crisp for 30-35 minutes, until the crisp is baked through.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before eating.
I recommend serving it with a scoop of non-dairy vanilla ice cream. My favorite is Luna & Larry's Organic Coconut Bliss Vanilla Island flavor. Yum!